There are many advantages to litigating in federal courts. Unfortunately, not all attorneys have the required experience and skills to do so. This is because federal courts have very specific rules and filing requirements. Failure to follow these rules may greatly prejudice the client, which is why it is critical to hire attorneys well-versed in federal practice. Cross Prescott APC has a great deal of experience in federal courts across California and around the country.
Why Hire Us?
Clients hire us when they need top-notch, “Big Firm” representation at boutique-firm rates. Before founding Cross Prescott APC, our attorneys spent years representing Fortune 500 companies in multi-million-dollar lawsuits at some of the finest law firms in the world – Latham & Watkins LLP and Cooley LLP. Oleg Cross has experience representing corporate defendants in federal courts across the country. In addition, Natalie Prescott has spent a year clerking for the Honorable Roger T. Benitez, the U.S. District Judge for the Southern District of California, learning firsthand the intricacies of the federal litigation practice at both trial and appellate levels.
We have extensive experience with every stage of the federal litigation process, including managing heated discovery disputes, complex motions, hearings, oral arguments, and appeals. We are extremely well-versed in federal and local rules and specific e-filing requirements at every federal court in California. Our rates are affordable. Yet, the quality of the work we produce is superb. Our training, work ethics, and dedication make us particularly suitable to handle federal cases on behalf of individuals and companies, regardless of the size of the matter.
Representative Writing & Motion Experience
- High success rate of winning motions and oppositions in various federal courts across the country
- Experience handling virtually every type of non-dispositive and dispositive motions
- Substantive appellate briefs and motions filed and argued in various federal courts
- Extensive writing and appellate training
- Mr. Cross and Ms. Prescott are award-winning book authors
- Ms. Prescott published over a dozen of scholarly and expert-advice articles
- Ms. Prescott’s law review articles are cited with approval by legal scholars across the country
- Mr. Cross authored numerous articles on emerging legal issues and trends
- Two of Mr. Cross’s federal cases resulted in favorable reported decisions
- Law Clerk for Judge Roger T. Benitez of the Southern District of California in San Diego (Natalie Prescott, 2007-2008)
- Board of Directors, New Lawyers Division, the San Diego County Bar Association (Oleg Cross, 2010-2012).
- Judge David R. Thompson Award, The 27th Annual Red Boudreau Trial Lawyers’ Dinner (Oleg Cross, 2011)
- Top Attorney, San Diego Metro Magazine (Natalie Prescott, 2012)
- Outstanding Young Lawyer of the Year, International Bar Association (Natalie Prescott, 2010)
- “40 Under 40” Award from the San Diego Metropolitan Magazine (Oleg Cross, 2009)
- Jack Berman Award of Achievement, for distinguished service to the profession, California Bar Association (Natalie Prescott, 2008)
- San Diego’s Top Young Attorneys, San Diego Daily Transcript(Oleg Cross, 2007 & 2008)
- Campbell Law Review, Symposium on Employment & Immigration Law (2007) (Natalie Prescott, speaker)
- University of San Diego, Labor & Employment Law Seminar (2007) (Natalie Prescott, guest speaker)
Selected Articles Involving Issues of Federal Law
- A Minor Setback in Recovering CERCLA Costs, Law 360 (2012) (Natalie Prescott, co-author).
- Federal Circuit Vacates Seminal Ruling Allowing Government Contractors to Recover CERCLA Costs Under Long-Expired Production Contracts, Latham & Watkins Client Alert (2012) (Natalie Prescott, co-author).
- Post-Tellabs Courts Apply a More Stringent Standard to Scienter Allegations in Federal Securities Fraud Actions, 30th Annual Conference on Securities Regulation and Business Law, Feb. 8, 2008 (Oleg Cross, co-author).
- Swept Away, The Los Angeles Daily Journal, Aug. 28, 2007 (Oleg Cross, co-author).
- The Unlikely Tort of Securities Fraud: Dura Pharmaceuticals v. Broudo, Duke J. Con. Law & Pub. Pol’y 220 (Oleg Cross, 2007).
- English Only at Work, Por Favor, 9 U. Pa. J. Lab. & Empl. L. 445 (Natalie Prescott, 2007).
- Employers on the Fence: A Guide to the Immigratory Workplace, 29 Campbell L. Rev. 181 (Natalie Prescott, 2007).
- Immigration Reform Fuels Employment Discrimination, 55 Drake L. Rev. 1 (Natalie Prescott, 2006).
- Affirmative Defenses in Section 337 ITC Patent Infringement Proceedings, 337 Reporter 11 (Natalie Prescott, 2005).
Examples of Federal Cases We Handle
- Defense of class actions for small and mid-size businesses and large companies
- Cases involving alleged violations of section 17200 et seq. of California Business & Professions Code
- Employment class action defense
- Business, partnership, and contractual disputes
- Representation of brokers, managers, CEOs, Directors and Officers, and other executives
- Shareholder derivative and direct actions
- Complex litigation matters, unique legal issues, and unusually complex dispositive motions
- Trademark claims, trade dress claims, and copyright claims
- Fraud claims, including securities fraud
- E-commerce litigation
- Almost all other types of general and commercial litigation matters
- Cases involving challenges to venue, personal jurisdiction, subject matter jurisdiction, choice of law, Erie Doctrine, Long-Arm jurisdiction, preemption, ERISA, FMLA, FLSA, ADA compliance, and many other federal laws and regulations
Representative Federal-Court Experience
- Securities class actions, including shareholder derivative suits, direct actions, and other actions (Oleg Cross; Natalie Prescott).*
- Complex business litigation matter involving breach-of-contract, misrepresentation, breach of partnership agreement, and fraud claims. The case settled favorably to his clients after Mr. Cross successfully opposed a challenging motion for summary judgment. (Oleg Cross, on behalf of Plaintiff).
- Numerous appeals filed and argued before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals (Natalie Prescott; Oleg Cross).*
- Numerous cases involving alleged violations of California Business & Professions Code. (Oleg Cross & Natalie Prescott, on behalf of various corporate defendants).*
- Defense of a copyright infringement claim on behalf of a motion-picture studio and a renowned Academy-Award-winning director. (Natalie Prescott).*
- Prosecution of a copyright infringement and trade dress claims on behalf of famous skincare manufacturer. (Natalie Prescott).*
- Defense of a class action against an auto manufacturer, involving breach of contract, 17200, product liability, and other state and federal claims. (Natalie Prescott).*
*Selected cases in which Ms. Prescott and Mr. Cross played key roles, and which were all litigated before founding Cross Prescott APC